Smoke and Key by Kelsey Sutton
A sound awakens her. There’s darkness all around. And then she’s falling…
She has no idea who or where she is. Or why she’s dead. The only clue to her identity hangs around her neck: a single rusted key. This is how she and the others receive their names—from whatever belongings they had when they fell out of their graves. Under is a place of dirt and secrets, and Key is determined to discover the truth of her past in order to escape it.
She needs help, but who can she trust? Ribbon seems content in Under, uninterested in finding answers. Doll’s silence hints at deep sorrow, which could be why she doesn’t utter a word. There’s Smoke, the boy with a fierceness that rivals even the living. And Journal, who stays apart from everyone else. Key’s instincts tell her there is something remarkable about each of them, even if she can’t remember why.
Then the murders start; bodies that are burnt to a crisp. After being burned, the dead stay dead. Key is running out of time to discover who she was—and what secret someone is willing to kill to keep hidden—before she becomes the next victim…
Publisher: Entangled: Teen (April 2, 2019)
About the author: (from goodreads.com) Kelsey Sutton is a young adult and middle-grade author. She lives in Minnesota, where she received a dual bachelor’s degree in English and Creative Writing from Bemidji State University. She will soon have a master’s degree from Hamline University. Her work has received an Independent Publisher Book Award, an IndieFab Award, and was selected as a Kirkus Reviews Best Teen Book of 2013. When not writing, Kelsey can be found watching too much Netflix, ordering a mocha at the nearest coffee shop, napping with her rescue dogs, or browsing a bookstore. You can visit her online at www.kelseysuttonbooks.com,
Kelsey Sutton Guest Post- Top Five Inspirations
Thank you so much for having me on your gorgeous site! What a fun topic to explore. In no particular order (because it’s highly dependent on my mood) here are the top five things that inspire me:
1. Books – I’m sure every writer has heard the advice that, if you want to get better at writing, to read as much as you can. This also serves another purpose in that you can discover certain plot devices, genres, or characters that light a spark in you. I know that, if I ever feel stuck or just “blah” with my writing, I’ll turn to read for inspiration.
2. Music – For me, this is mostly music without lyrics. Movie soundtracks, compositions, etc. I have a playlist on Spotify that I’ve been cultivating for years, appropriately dubbed “Write Those Words”. I listen to it whenever I’m stuck or in the flow.
3. Movies – Not just any movie, though. It has to have an artistic feel to it. I usually turn to anything Tim Burton, or Chocolat, Stardust, etc. Movies with great stories and amazing soundtracks.
4. Pinterest – I have so many boards that, whenever I’m feeling uninspired or in want of a fresh idea, I can simply scroll through for a few minutes and this feeling goes away. There’s some seriously amazing content on Pinterest. You just have to do a search for “writing inspiration” or “fine art photography”. You can also see what other authors are pinning!
5. Life – This one is trickier in that I can’t deliberately seek out a certain moment or a lightning bolt of inspiration. It just happens. Someone says something, or I see something, or something happens that plants a seed. All I can do, as a writer, is make sure to leave my house once in a while and be open to creativity.
Review of Smoke and Key
Smoke and Key is a young adult fantasy novel written by Kelsey Sutton. A mysterious story that is set in a dystopian world with a tainted edge that is dark and has a twisted storyline. I was drawn to the gorgeous cover and once I started reading Smoke and Key, I could not put it down. I was drawn into a world of mystery full of unknowns. Sutton writes in such a way that makes you feel as if you are watching a horror or thriller movie. Page after page offers mysterious suspense that is full of magic with a hint of romance. Smoke and Key is an addictive read that is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat and leave you wanting more! The perfect start to a series that is not your traditional young adult fantasy novel. Smoke and Key is a twisted suspense story that I highly recommend. ** I received a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**